Monday, July 13, 2015

Liebster Award


The wonderful and insightful Dell over at Dell on Movies has nominated me for a Liebster Award! As has the honorable Kevin of Speaks in Movie Lines! I'm honored, humbled, and honestly flattered.
Thanks so much, Dell and Kevin, and thanks to everyone who reads and comments on my blog. The conversation is a large part of why I started blogging, and it's still my favorite part.

ANYWAY, the Liebster Award (in case you didn't know, because I didn't...) is an award bestowed upon bloggers by their fellow bloggers. When you are nominated, there are a few simple rules to follow in order to accept your award:

1. Thank the blog who nominated you and link back to them.
2. Nominate up to 11 other bloggers to receive the coveted award.
3. Answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated you.
4. Tell your readers 11 random facts about yourself.
5. Give the nominees 11 questions to answer on their blog when they post their nomination.

These are the questions Dell asked of me, and my answers.

1. What movie is most responsible for making you a film buff? The film that truly made me a movie buff was Wong Kar-Wai's In The Mood for Love. Saw it in a film course in college, fell in love, decided I HAD to own it on DVD, got introduced to The Criterion Collection, and I was a goner.

2. If there were a movie made about your life, who should play your significant other? Hmmmmmmmmmm... doing a quick search of IMDB for actors over 6' tall, I'd have to say Ray Stevenson (Porthos from the most recent Three Musketeers film), although my current significant other is a bit more of a goofy, gentle giant type. But the resemblance is striking.

3. Name an event you've been a part of that they should make a movie about. A few years back I went to Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's Rally to Restore Sanity (and/or Fear) aboard the Huffington Post buses. That would make for a pretty interesting movie. I've never seen DC so mobbed; from the minute we got into the subway we could barely move!

4. Name an event you wish they would stop making movies about. That moment when a woman gets pregnant accidentally, doesn't want a baby at this point in her life, but decides to keep it despite the fact that there are plenty of other options available to her.

5. What villain do you think would make a great hero? Why?  To quote one of my favorite plays: I'm not a fan of this modern mania for turning bad people into good people at a moment's notice. So I'll pick one that has already been redeemed by history a bit: Shylock. The man is basically attacked for adhering to the terms of a contract and persecuted for being a Jew. He stands up for what he believes in and against an irresponsible kid, and gets a terrible punishment for it. He should be a hero.

6. What hero do you think would make a great villain? Why?  
Sherlock Holmes. Super-smart guy who works with Scotland Yard, but also outside their jurisdiction. WHAT IF he was actually working against the police the whole time? His motives are largely unknown, PLUS he's a drug addict.

7. Name a movie you love from a genre you hate. Oooooooooh this is a good one... I don't like westerns much, but I LOVED the Coen brothers' True Grit.

8. Name a movie that's so bad it's awesome. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm... gonna have to be obvious and go with Showgirls. Or Conan the Barbarian. The original Schwarzenegger one.

9. What is your favorite color? Orange and/or green, depending on the day.

10. Do you prefer dogs or cats? Cats. Dogs are too eager for your love and attention, whereas you have to earn a cat's trust first. Plus dogs slobber. EW. But I'm allergic to both, so can I say fish instead?

11. How and why did you become a blogger? LONG story, but the short version is that I wanted to participate in The Film Experience's Hit Me With Your Best Shot series, and I needed a place to do so.

...and because I'm a masochist, here are the questions Kevin asked of me, and my answers:

1. What movie is responsible for making you a film buff? Asked and answered! See above.

2. What's your earliest movie memory? Seeing Disney's The Little Mermaid in theaters.

3. What was your most cherished title you owned on home video as a kid? Hmmmmmm... I mean, pick any Disney animated classic LOL. Probably Beauty & the Beast, because it's my favorite.

4. What is your current favorite Blu-ray or DVD that you own? Oh jeez.... the Criterion Collection Jacques Tati box set that I just got sure is pretty!

5. Who is your all-time favorite movie character? Indiana Jones. When I was younger I wanted to be an archeologist. I have no doubt that Harrison Ford was at least part of the reason why.

6. What is your favorite TV drama? Currently: The Americans. Or Game of Thrones. Or Masters of Sex. Or Orange is the New Black. All-Time: The X-Files.

7. What is your favorite TV comedy? Currently: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Or Jane the Virgin. All-Time: Will & Grace. Or Friends. Or Absolutely Fabulous. Or Fawlty Towers. Yeah, the last one.

8. What is the last movie you watched? Oh dear lord... Minions. It was cute.

9. Favorite food? Literally anything barbecued.

10. Any pets? Not currently. When I was a kid there was a guinea pig and then a cockatiel.

11. How and why did you become a blogger?
Asked and answered! See above.

AND NOW! For 11 facts about myself.

1. I started dancing when I was 10 years old, after seeing Singin' in the Rain.
2. At my very first dance competition (at age 12) I won a Gold medal. A monster was born.
3. My biggest achievement in six years as a competitive dancer was placing third overall at a national competition in Walt Disney World.
4. I was the Editor-in-Chief of my high school yearbook.
5. I read the second Harry Potter book (Chamber of Secrets) before I read the first one. I didn't know it was a series at the time.
6. My Top Three favorite books are: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, To Kill A Mockingbird, and Ready Player One.
7. My favorite book series is the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde.
8. In addition to dance, I'm also a trained mime.
9. I can read Hebrew.
10. I'm semi-fluent in French (enough to understand spoken/written, but not quite enough to carry on a full conversation without lots of stops and starts).
11. Animal has always been, and always will be, my favorite Muppet.


I would like to nominate....

Jenna and Allie, The Flick Chicks
All of the Assholes Watching Movies
Big Screen, Small Words
Irene, the Mysterious Bibliophile
The amazing John at Hitchcock's World

...and I WOULD nominate the ever-inspiring Drew (Fisti) at Fistful of Films and the awe-inspiring Tim Brayton at Antagony and Ecstasy, but I think they possibly might be too popular to actually meet the criteria for this award. Also, shout-out to everyone's favorite commenter extraordinaire, joel65913, who does not have his own blog but should.

I don't have much time to spend reading other blogs, but when I do, these guys are reliably well-written and fun to read. If you're not reading any of these blogs, you should be.

The questions for my nominees (some of which I stole because they're just too good) are:

1. What's the movie that made you love movies?
2. Do you get concessions when you go to the movies, and if so, what's your snack of choice?
3. What was your favorite subject in high school?
4. Who is your favorite Muppet?
5. What's your favorite movie trilogy (or series)?
6. What makes you feel better when you're feeling blue?
7. What movie did you most unexpectedly love?
8. What movie did you most unexpectedly hate?
9. What is your favorite place you've ever visited?
10. What's your Zodiac sign, and do you believe it fits you?
11. What made you start blogging?

11 comments:

  1. Hmm...I have to see In the Mood for Love. Sherlock Holmes is a brilliant answer to my question #6. Anything barbecued is a great answer, as well. Thanks for accepting your award...and for the kind words. Love this place. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH In The Mood for Love is so beautiful it HURTS.

      I should be thanking YOU for the kind words - part of the larger reason why I started blogging was to have more conversations about film, and to practice writing (which I used to do a lot but haven't done so much since graduating from college), so it's really nice to hear such appreciation, especially from someone whose writing I respect as much as yours!

      Delete
  2. Oh, man. Thanks so much for answering my questions too. I actually forgot you were on Dell's list as well. I love discussing movies with you, man. Love it! We don't always see eye to eye, and I love that the most. I've gotta see some Jacques Tati. Just not quite there yet, but I have recently started taking advantage of those Barnes and Noble Criterion sales. I have a budding "collection" going. I have never seen a single episode of the X-Files. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE Indiana Jones, barbecue of any kind, The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, and I'll be seeing Minions tonight.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A variety of opinions is what makes the world go 'round, man! I love reading your thoughts on movies, and it's when we disagree that the conversation becomes more interesting. Definitely get on the Jacques Tati train, the man is BRILLIANT. Take advantage of the B&N Criterion sale while you can (without breaking the bank lol) - I have way too many of them, in large part because of these stupid sales. But I am what I am, and there are lots of worse things to spend money on!

      You should totally watch The X-Files, too. It's on Netflix streaming! That was one of the few shows my entire family gathered around the TV to watch - or at least when my sister and I were old enough (and not too scared lol). It's classic.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Dan!!! You've made our day, thanks for nominating us :D
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I LOVE reading your views on things - it's a unique way of doing it and always fun to read!

      Delete
  4. How kind of you to mention me Dan, thank you so much!! Congratulations on the nomination, love your blog. It’s always nice to find another classic film lover who likes modern film too.

    Love your choice of snap to illustrate your pleasure, Sally in that unbecoming dress and unflattering hairstyle that we never saw again declaring her conviction that WE LIKE HER! WE REALLY LIKE HER!! And of course we do just not in that outfit.

    Since I don’t have a blog (I know, I know…someday) I can’t do the whole enchilada but I’ll answer your questions if I may-substituting another from the other questions for the last since it doesn’t apply.

    1. What's the movie that made you love movies?
    The President’s Lady with Susan Hayward. When I was a kid, which was pre-VCR, there was a station that had a Movie of the Week series where they showed a selected film at least three times a day for a week. This one just swept me up in its mixture of romance, melodrama and history. I watched it as many times as possible noticing different things each time and by the end of that week I was a cinema junkie. I have similar soft spots for With a Song in My Heart and the Barbara Stanwyck version of Titanic for the same reason.

    2. Do you get concessions when you go to the movies, and if so, what's your snack of choice?
    I don’t. I used to manage a movie theatre and that will cure you of buying from the stand faster than anything. They usually don't sell Payday bars anyway and they are my favorite so that makes it easier too.

    3. What was your favorite subject in high school?
    I loved history and still do. It carried over to my love of almost all historical epics.

    4. Who is your favorite Muppet?
    Are there other Muppets beside Miss Piggy?

    5. What's your favorite movie trilogy (or series)?
    Clifton Webb’s Mr. Belvedere movies: Sitting Pretty, Mr. Belvedere Goes to College and Mr. Belvedere Rings the Bell.

    6. What makes you feel better when you're feeling blue?
    Spending time with my nieces and nephew is the quickest way but if they aren’t around I can pop in 1954’s Woman’s World and by the end feel pretty chipper.

    7. What movie did you most unexpectedly love?
    Wild Strawberries. I’m not an avid foreign film fan, I’ve seen many I like but the language barrier makes it hard for me to fully connect and Bergman’s largely dour output is among the most challenging but for whatever reason I was completely enraptured by this particular film.

    8. What movie did you most unexpectedly hate?
    The Remains of the Day. It had all the elements I usually adore AND Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins so I was so excited when I sat down to watch and it was something akin to watching paint dry without the fun of the color changing.

    9. What is your favorite place you've ever visited?
    Scotland. Oban specifically near the Glen of Weeping. I’d live there if I could.

    10. What's your Zodiac sign, and do you believe it fits you?
    Gemini. It does. It can be a rough gig.

    11. What is your current favorite Blu-ray or DVD that you own?
    I have so many but I just received a DVD of Forever Amber starring my girl Linda Darnell for my birthday and I practically jumped through the roof so I’d say right now it holds favored position.

    I’d also like to suggest two sites I just love that I think you’d really enjoy as well, they are movie lover heaven:

    http://neptsdepths.blogspot.com/

    http://lecinemadreams.blogspot.com/

    Thanks again for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at your description of Sally winning her second Oscar. Thank you so much for answering these questions, and for being such a wonderfully insightful commenter!

      Generally speaking, I don't do concessions at the movies, either. When I was younger I would do Skittles if I went with friends (my parents would NEVER spend so much money on popcorn/candy), but now it's Junior Mints if I REALLY need something. And that's rare.

      I loved history, too, but specifically ancient history, something the movies have never really gotten right (Cecil B. Demille aside), have they?

      It's funny, I had the exact same reaction to Remains of the Day the book. SO. DEADLY. DULL. I've not seen the film. AND, I was surprised that I genuinely liked The Seventh Seal, which is far more entertaining than I expected, given Bergman's reputation, and that film's in particular.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean about ancient history in film. Either it's lumbering and self important (Ben-Hur which is endless and aside from Stephen Boyd and the chariot race dull as dishwater) or a bunch of people talking like they're watching for a cab on the corner of La Brea & Wilshire which has been done over in a Roman theme for that night's party (Demetrius and the Gladiators, The Fall of the Roman Empire etc.)

      Sometimes they do strike a happy enough balance for the movies to at least be entertaining though (Quo Vadis?, Spartacus and a few others).

      I'm always hopeful though and will watch any one that comes along. While the older films may be often preposterous I still prefer them to the amusement park rides they churn out now that rely on CGI to supposedly dazzle you but really leave you with the feeling you're watching a video game. Gladiator was the last one I remember really being engaged by.

      Of course this leaves out C.B. DeMille who had his own special place in the spectacle department. His stuff was often absurd but damn they're entertaining. No one and probably nothing will ever top MISS Anne Baxter declaiming "Oh Moses, Moses, you stubborn, splendid, adorable fool!"

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. My pleasure! It's the least I could do since I so love reading what you write at your blog. :)

      Delete