Thursday, August 23, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks - A Discovery/Exploration

Written as part of the weekly blogathon hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. Join in the fun by picking three movies that fit the week's theme and writing a bit about them!

This week on Thursday Movie Picks, we're going exploring! Let's see what we can find, shall we?

The Lost City of Z (James Gray, 2017) One of the most beautiful films of 2017, The Lost City of Z is based on the true story of explorer Percy Fawcett, a British officer tasked with surveying the border between Bolivia and Bravil in 1905. While on his journey, he hears tell of a mythical city covered in gold, and finds some artifacts that make him believe it. He returns to South America over and over again in his life trying to find it, eventually bringing his eldest son with him. Dealing as much with the home lives of British Imperialism as with the exploration of the South American rain forest, Gray's film is often fascinating, if a bit frustrating. But the cinematography is stunning, and the performances, from Charlie Hunnam, Robert Pattinson, Angus McFadyen, and even Sienna Miller, as Fawcett's wife.

Embrace of the Serpent (Ciro Guerra, 2016) Yes, it seems almost cruel to shoot a film about the glorious scenery of the Amazon in black and white, but just wait until you see this. The cinematography becomes utterly hypnotic, which is appropriate for the tale of two white explorers, thirty years apart, searching for a rare sacred plant with hallucinogenic powers. The stories are connected by one Amazonian native, Karamakate, and the film has a lot of very wise things to say about aging and regret, as well as imperialism and the nature of man to explore and his desire to rule. One of my all-time favorite cinema experiences, I remember being so stunned when I left the theater that I had to keep my phone off and just wander the streets for a good couple of hours while I digested this.

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan, 2014) A bit of a change of pace here, to outer space exploration. Nolan's grand epic offers (again) astonishing cinematography (although the constantly-shifting aspect ratios in IMAX 70mm drive me absolutely insane) and wonderful performances from its all-star cast, but it doesn't quite hold together. The bloated run-time and grandiose ambitions don't help, but what's really at fault here is the somewhat meandering screenplay, which is a really good second or third draft but needed some editing and a polish in order to become the best version of itself. It's a tremendous visual experience, but ultimately an almost-but-not-quite for me.

8 comments:

  1. Oh goodness I'm 0 for 3 this week but the first two sound fascinating and the third worth checking out. I put off Interstellar specifically because of that run time but if I can catch it at home where I can split it up perhaps it will be an easier go. I've already queued up the other two so thanks for the new ideas!!

    It wasn't my plan but I ended up with a film each that dealt with the exploration of sea, earth and outer space.

    The Right Stuff (1983)-Epic film of the origins, formation and realization of America’s space program with a stacked cast, Ed Harris, Sam Shepard, Barbara Hershey, Dennis Quaid, Fred Ward, Kim Stanley, Veronica Cartwright and on and on, of award level performances and a real sense of wonder and discovery. The best film of 1983 it was robbed at the Oscars where the prize went to the solid but not nearly as extraordinary Terms of Endearment.

    Never Cry Wolf (1983)-Canadian biologist Tyler (Charles Martin Smith) travels on government orders to the isolated arctic wilderness to discover if the area's caribou population is declining due to wolf-pack attacks. After a harrowing flight in a bush plane piloted by "Rosie" Little (Brian Dennehy) Tyler is left in the middle of a sub-zero frozen lake until he is rescued by traveling Inuit Ootek (Zachary Ittimangnaq), who builds a shelter for him and departs. On his own he encounters a wolf family and discovers they seem as curious of him as he is of them. Establishing an observation post he learns much including ultimately that the greatest danger to the caribou is man himself. Vivid Disney film lead to the formation of the Touchstone division of Disney when there was an outcry that this was far removed from their standard family fare.

    The Endless Summer (1966)-In search of the surfer's Holy Grail "The Perfect Wave" documentarian and competition-level surfer Bruce Brown embarks on an around-the-world adventure of discovery with surfers Michael Hynson and Robert August. In their quest the three visit Hawaii, Australia, South Africa and other secluded surfing spots seeking their sweet spot while Brown’s narration and an instrumental guitar-driven soundtrack by The Sandals plays over the silent footage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm 0 for 3 with your picks, too. I've never heard of Never Cry Wolf, but I have heard of The Endless Summer. The Right Stuff has been on my list forever, and I will watch it some day. I hope.

      Please report back after you watch these! I love hearing what you think.

      Delete
  2. I've only seen Interstellar which I liked, but didn't love. I thought Lost City of Z looked so boring in the trailers but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'll have to give it a watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lost City of Z is a touch boring in spots, but overall the fascinating story and the performances sell it. And it's just really freaking gorgeous to look at.

      Delete
  3. I liked Interstellar but something lacked in that film and you expressed it perfectly. I liked it but it bothered me...it always seems to come down to writing. I haven’t seen the first 2 but would like to see them especially the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOOOOH you are in for a treat! Embrace of the Serpent is really something special.

      Delete
  4. Interstellar was wasted potential and I agree that script needed polishing, lots of it....but there were some sequences that were amazing, the music was incredible and damn McConaughey gave it his all

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought about picking Interstellar, but I didn't like it enough. While there were some good bits, I agree with a lot of your criticism. "bloated run-time and grandiose ambitions" could also be applied to a number of Nolan's movies me thinks.

    ReplyDelete