Thursday, January 7, 2016

Thursday Movie Picks - Downstairs People

Written as part of the weekly blogathon hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. Join in the fun - a new year's the best time to start something new! - by picking three movies that fit the week's theme and writing a little something about them.

A new year, a new slate of Thursday Movie Picks! Wanderer has kindly posted this year's schedule, including a couple of topics suggested by yours truly! For this week, we're talking about the Downstairs folk. As in Upstairs/Downstairs. So, maids, butlers, kitchen staff... your Daisys, your Mrs. Hugheses, your Annas and Mr. Bateses... sorry, Downton Abbey just started a new season and I'm back to being obsessed again. Anyway, to the task at hand, this week's picks! Join me on this journey through history...

Farewell, My Queen (Benoît Jacquot, 2012) Sidonie Laborde is a servant in the court of Marie Antoinette. She's just gotten a promotion of sorts to be the Queen's reader. Even as things start to fall apart in France, Sidonie stays by the Queen's side, seeing life in the court and life in the servants' quarters from an increasingly unique perspective. Jacquot's film is notable, and all the more enjoyable, for showing us what life was like behind the curtain of the royal court - has there been another film that showed life in the servants' quarters of a grand palace? Plus, Léa Seydoux and Diane Kruger give excellent performances as Sidonie and Marie Antoinette, respectively.

Gosford Park (Robert Altman, 2001) Turns out, there's a hierarchy among downstairs folk that mimics that of the upstairs folk! Who knew? The lives of the downstairs side of the Upstairs/Downstairs equation is the real hook to Julian Fellowes's script, not the barely-even-solved murder mystery. Well, that and the performances by that murderer's row of great British thespians. Helen Mirren and Maggie Smith may have gotten the Oscar nominations, but Clive Owen, Kelly MacDonald, Emily Watson, Kristin Scott Thomas, Michael Gambon, Stephen Fry, and even Ryan Phillippe (among MANY others) do excellent work.

Gone With the Wind (Victor Fleming, 1939) Poor, poor Mammy. Oh, how she tries to help Scarlett O'Hara get through the South's loss during the Civil War. Lord only knows why she even stays with her afterwards, given that Scarlett is a right bitch to anyone that isn't named Scarlett or Ashley, but she does. Maybe it's to look after Prissy, who, let's face it, is kind of useless. I mean, REALLY. She doesn't know NOTHING about birthin' no babies?!? There's no use beating around the bush: Gone With the Wind is both glorious and maddening in equal measure, and I'm never quite sure on which side of that fence I stand. But hey, it's still the All-Time Box Office Champion when adjusting for inflation (and nothing will ever touch it), and there's good reason for that.

19 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I have only seen Gone With the Wind. Yes, glorious and maddening in equal measures due to so many elements on both sides of that. Mammy herself, is also both of those things. It's such a wonderful performance she becomes perhaps the most lovable person of the film. At the same time, she is a manifestation of racist views and stereotypes, that her unconditional devotion is cringe inducing. Anyhoo, I'm resigned to the fact that I will probably come across this film on a number of blogs today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with everything you say about GWTW.

      Delete
  2. Gosford Park is popular today. I should probably see it. The only one I've seen here is Gone With The Wind, which I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many things about GWTW that I don't like, but somehow I don't dislike the film itself. Weird.

      ...you HAVEN'T seen Gosford Park?!?!?

      Delete
  3. Farewell, My Queen is a great choice! I love that this is probably the only place I'll see it.

    Gosford was the first film I thought of, which is why I didn't chose it. It's a perfect choice for this theme, though.

    Gone With the Wind is one that I should have thought of, but didn't. It's a very good movie...a touch overrated in my opinion, but I'm in the minority, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE Farewell, My Queen. It's so different from other films about royalty and great performances. So glad you like it too!

      I actually agree with you about GWTW. I mean, I don't think it's overrated as a film, in that it's put together and crafted really well, but I don't... actually... like... it? I think? My feelings about it are complicated.

      Delete
  4. I've been meaning to see Farewell, My Queen for some time and just haven't gotten to it yet but it is on my list.

    GWTW! How did I not think of that!? I think because I went English with my choices but a tremendous choice and a wonderful film, even if some of it has its faults. Hattie McDaniel is perfection as Mammy, she may be seen as a servant but no one is more in charge than she when it comes down to it.

    I suspected Gosford Park would be the title of the week. Love it completely, impossible to pick a favorite performance. I couldn't even say it's between this one and that one since everybody is brilliant. I do however have great admiration for Kelly Macdonald's ability to make the little mouse Mary so memorable.

    As I said I went English but tried to reach back a bit. Here's what I came up with.

    The Maids (1975)-Sisters Solange and Claire (Glenda Jackson & Susannah York) work as maids for a woman they detest, known only as Madame. Whenever she’s out they take turns dressing in her clothes and demeaning each other as Madame does to them. An adaptation of a Jean Genet play that was itself based on a famous pair of murders committed by the Papin sisters in 30’s France. Produced as part of the American Film Theatre but released theatrically this is very much a filmed play that features two award caliber performances from its lead actresses.

    The Servant (1963)-Tony, a wealthy young man moves to London and hires the seemingly docile Barrett to be his all-around servant. Barrett at first seems quite competent and yielding but Tony’s girlfriend Susan is made uneasy by him and advises Tony to send him away. Once Barrett brings his sister Vera to work there too the situation spirals downward and ultimately the question is who the servant is and who’s the master?

    The Fallen Idol (1948)-A young British boy, Phillippe, worships his father’s butler, Baines (Ralph Richardson) and Baines spins stories of his great adventures to amuse the boy. However Baines is stuck in a loveless marriage and when an accident occurs which Phillippe misconstrues his attempts to protect his hero only lead to bigger troubles for Baines. Directed by Carol Reed and winner of a slew of awards this is a great film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh see Farewell, My Queen as soon as you can. It's really good. I think my biggest issue with GWTW is Scarlett. Not Vivien Leigh, who plays her really well, but the actual character. I freaking HATE. HER. But, I understand that that's part of the point, kind of? She's so frustrating, and she's the WHOLE ENTIRE MOVIE. Thank God for Hattie McDaniel and Clark Gable, without whom the film would be much more of a slog.

      I have seen productions of The Maids, and read the play, but never seen the film. Dying to, though. I also really want to see The Fallen Idol. Never heard of The Servant though.

      Gosford Park is just the best.

      Delete
  5. Gosford Park... again! I don't remember much about it other than liking it. I should probably re-watch it. I've also picked Gone with the Wind. Such a wonderful film, and Mammy is the highlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! To tell the truth, I haven't watched Gosford Park since I first saw it and I don't really remember a whole lot except that I LOVED it. A rewatch is definitely in order. So right about Mammy being the highlight of GWTW.

      Delete
  6. I have not seen the first 2 but wow-need to see both of them especially Farewell. is this based on fact? I never heard of Marie liking the same sex. Gosford Park looks like fun and reminds me of Downton Abbey which I love and will weep when it is done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the 1780s there were pamphlets distributed alleging that Marie Antoinette was having a relationship with the Duchesse du Polignac, although they were never substantiated. Farewell, My Queen is really, really good. Gosford Park was the first big screenwriting credit for Julian Fellowes, the writer of Downton Abbey, and it's excellent.

      Delete
  7. OH I meant to mention that GWTW is a great pick! Love Mammy-would have killed Prissie and I didn't mind Scarlett but Melanie makes me just want to trip her-she is just too ...too sweetums. Wait I'd rather trip Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH I HATE ASHLEY SO MUCH. Or, rather, I hate how much Scarlett is besotted with him. Basically, she loves him because he looks like Leslie Howard, and she hates Rhett because... what, she has a thing against mustaches?

      Delete
  8. Yeah. That cast list in Gosford Park was absolutely juicy. Full to the brim with talent.

    I feel like I should have a least heard of your first choice considering its some big name actors (for those in the know) in it...thanks for bringing to my attention

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only seen Farewell My Queen from your picks, and it was a good film - really liked Lea Seydoux and Diane Kruger's performances.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Mammy! I almost went with Gone with the Wind myself. I wish that movie was an hour shorter. I hate the last act, except for that final line. Rhett shoulda told her to stick it way earlier and been done with it. Lol. Anyway, you can't deny the "downstairs" people of the film. So much greatness, even if dated in its racial elements.

    Gosford Park!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GwtW - I've only seen it once and I think it's maddening. Scarlett is just so unlikable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY. And it's not just that she's unlikable, she's ACTIVELY HATEFUL.

      Delete