Thursday, October 18, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks - Technology

Written as part of the weekly blogathon hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. Join in the fun by picking three movies that fit the week's theme and writing a bit about them!

OH, technology! In so many ways it makes life easier. But at the same time, it makes it a lot easier for a lot of things to go very wrong all at once. Quite often, I think that we should pay closer attention to the bad representations of technology in the movies, because every day it feels like we're getting closer and closer to the technological dystopias of many a sci-fi future. SUCH AS...

The Matrix (Wachowskis, 1999) Thomas Anderson is a computer programmer by day, super-hacker named Neo by night. He is obsessed with finding the answer to one of the hacker underground's most mysterious questions: "What is the matrix?" One day, he finally finds out: The matrix is a virtual reality computer program that surrounds him and everyone he knows, making them think the world of 1999 is real. In reality, it is much farther in the future, and the world is controlled by machines we created, who grow humans to harvest them for their energy, keeping them plugged in to the matrix to keep them subdued. And if you needed the synopsis to know what this movie is about, then you must be VERY young and/or living under a rock for the past long while, because The Matrix is one of the key texts of popular culture of the new millennium. Personally, this movie means a lot to me: It was the first R-rated movie I saw in the theater. The ground-breaking special effects still hold up, and the film is still as exciting as it ever was. It's a modern classic.

Ex Machina (Alex Garland, 2015) Computer programmer Caleb wins a contest to have a week-long visit at the luxurious home of reclusive tech CEO Nathan Bateman. But when he gets there, he discovers he's not really there to relax and enjoy himself, but rather to help Nathan test his newest AI robot, Ava. Buoyed by incredibly strong performances by Oscar Isaac, Domnhall Gleason, and especially Alicia Vikander as Ava, Garland's talky screenplay teases out so many questions about artificial intelligence and the role technology plays in our daily lives, that it's almost mindblowing. It's never anything less than compelling, and constantly swerves away from where you think it's going to go. Just as the best sci-fi stories should.

Unfriended (Leo Gabriadze, 2015) Social media is a bitch. I am so glad it wasn't around when I was in high school. Because having to deal with anything like what happens in Unfriended would drive me insane. Basically, a group of friends get together online (via Skype) a year after one of their childhood friends committed suicide after a horrendously embarrassing video of her went viral. A mysterious, unknown individual ends up on their call somehow, and they can't get rid of them. And then the mystery entity starts taking revenge on each of the friends for their role in the suicide. And it's all seen from the perspective of one computer screen.  This method makes the film surprisingly immersive (you can see internet history and file contents that fill in character background), but the nature of the story unfortunately means that not a single one of these characters are likable. Some of the jump scares do work pretty well, though.

11 comments:

  1. Great picks!i almost went with Ex Machina myself. I'm also glad social media wasn't around in school. Myspace was during my last few years otherwise it was just blogging platforms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realize I'm nearly alone in this but I detest The Matrix. I fell asleep the first time I saw it in the theatre but everyone else I was with loved it so I went back to see it again. I struggled through to the end but disliked it intensely.

    I was also underwhelmed by Ex Machina but there I think my expectations might have been too high. I saw it quite a while after its release with all the praise ringing in my ears. It was fine, and Alicia Vikander excellent, but perhaps it boils down to the fact that I'm not much for sci-fi (though I love the Truffaut version of Fahrenheit 451). Both fit the theme very well though.

    I've heard of Unfriended but haven't seen it.

    My second pick shares a sort of kinship of idea with Ex Machina now that I think of it.

    Frankenstein (1931)-Dr. Henry Frankenstein (Colin Clive) of whom it might be generously said has a screw or two loose attempts with the latest technology to create life by assembling a creature from body parts of the dead in his laboratory deep within the walls of his remote castle. Assisted by the loyal, deformed Fritz (Dwight Frye), he succeeds in bringing his monster (Boris Karloff) to life in florid fashion. However, trouble is brewing when the confused and traumatized monster escapes into the countryside and begins to wreak havoc. Iconic and seminal film impressively director by James Whale, with a touching performance by Karloff, set the standard for all horror movies to follow.

    Demon Seed (1977)-Susan Harris (Julie Christie) and her husband Dr. Alex Harris (Fritz Weaver) a renowned scientist live in a home he has modified to be run by voice-activated computers. Dr. Harris has also developed Proteus IV, an extremely advanced and autonomous artificial intelligence program. When Harris becomes disturbed by Proteus’s demands to be let "out of this box". Harris switches off the communications link but Proteus restarts itself, constructs a robot takes control of the house and traps Susan inside. Object: impregnate Susan to assume human form. Strange, unsettling sci-fi based on a Dean Koontz novel is strengthened by having a talent like Julie Christie in the lead.

    Tron (1982)-Young computer engineer Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges) discovers that his work is being stolen by one of his company’s executives-Ed Dillinger (David Warner). He attempts to hack the system but something goes awry and Flynn is transported into the digital world, facing off against Dillinger's computerized likeness, Sark, and the imposing Master Control Program. Aided by Tron (Bruce Boxleitner) and Yori (Cindy Morgan), Flynn fights a technological battle for control. Though the graphics are wildly dated now they were cutting edge when this was released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, The Matrix is just not some people's thing. But for a 15 year old boy (and his Star Wars-loving mother lol), it was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

      Ex Machina is kind of slow and VERY heady sci-fi, so I can see how that one isn't for everyone, too.

      I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen Frankenstein (I KNOW I KNOW), so I must do that soon. Demon Seed has been on my radar for a while because of Julie Christie. I haven't seen Tron since I was a kid and barely remember it outside of loving the special effects.

      Delete
  3. Yes, The Matrix..I was never a real fan of this movie and dislike the sequels which I thought was unnecessary. I thought Ex Machina was ok but it’s not a priority to see it again any time soon. I wouldn’t mind trying Unfriended but assume it’s a typical teen getting axed...literally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfriended isn't great, but the style is kind of interesting. And it gains something from watching on one's laptop.

      Delete
  4. The Matrix indeed still holds up. It's such a shame the sequels were such a mess, Reloaded is at least fun but Revolution is fucking insane and not in a good way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still say that Reloaded is one of the great action films of the 21st century, but it's also a fucking mess, with so much wasted potential. Revolutions makes absolutely no sense at all but does have some fun scenes.

      Delete
  5. The Matrix is one of my all-time faves and Ex Machina might be as well. Love both of those movies. On the other hand, I hated Unfriended. It was a great concept, they just executed it so poorly. It bored me to tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO RIGHT about Unfriended - great premise, terrible execution. It's not even that scary, really.

      Delete
  6. Love Ex Machina but don't remember much of The Matrix.

    I wanted to watch Unfriended but didn't think I'd like it because it seemed (I haven't seen the trailers) the only perspective we get is from computer cameras?

    ReplyDelete