Thursday, December 27, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks - Television Edition: Comedies

Written as part of the weekly blogathon hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. Join the fun by picking three movies (or, once a month, TV shows) that fit the week's theme and writing a bit about them!

I think we could all use a few good laughs after the dumpster fire that was 2018. So here are a few good comedies for you all to catch up on over the winter break:

Mom (2013-present) Single mom Christy is a recovering alcoholic whose mother, also a recovering alcoholic, moves in to help her take care of her two children. Yes, it's a comedy, and a pretty great one with geniuses Anna Faris and Allison Janney making gourmet meals out of very basic ingredients. The first season takes a while to find its footing, but once it does, this is a wonderful, heartfelt sitcom about the never-ending process of starting over.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (2015-Present) Abducted in middle school by a wannabe cult leader and held with three other women in an underground bunker, Kimmy Schmidt has finally been rescued, and decides to make a life for herself in New York City! She manages to find a room for rent with legend-in-his-own-mind Titus Andromedon and together, they go after their dreams: her to be an independent career woman (starting off as a nanny to the ultra-wealthy Jacqueline Voorhees, and him to be a singing star! The premise is certainly dark, but Kimmy's joie de vivre is still that of her fifteen year-old self, and shows no signs of abating. This wild and wacky show is so dense with jokes that it's sometimes difficult to keep up, but the performances of Ellie Kemper, Tituss Burgess (the show's breakout STAR), Jane Krakowski, and Carol Kane keep everything grounded in reality even when it gets a little out of hand.

The Good Place (2016-Present) Eleanor Schellstrop has died, and has ended up in "the good place." The only problem is, it becomes immediately clear that there was some kind of mix-up, and she has taken the place of an Eleanor Schellstrop that was a MUCH better person than she was. Afraid that she will get found out and sent to "the bad place," she gets her soul mate - a professor of moral philosophy named Chidi Anagonye - to teach her how to be a good person. The Good Place is consistently hilarious and surprising, and has some of the most inspired storytelling of any show currently on TV. It's a must-watch.

10 comments:

  1. I've seen bits and pieces of all of these, but I couldn't get into any of them. Sorry, man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to apologize; not every show is for everybody!

      Delete
  2. I keep meaning to try Kimmy Schmidt because so many people I know watch it but my TV list is so long. I've seen one episode of Mom, other than that I'm 0/3 here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first season of Mom is a total outlier - by the second season they dropped what wasn't working and made it much better. Kimmy Schmidt is SO much fun.

      Delete
  3. I have tried watching Mom many times and I just can’t get into it. I don’t find it all that funny although I love Alison Janney. I haven’t seen your second pick but that does look funny. I did try to watch the Good Place when it came out but, again, didn’t find it funny. I saw 3 episodes from the beginning but maybe I should give 8t a second chance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PLEASE give The Good Place a second chance! The plot goes to some AMAZING, unpredictable places.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen any of these but I'm interested in seeing all of them. I just need to find the time haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Too many TV shows and movies, too little time!

      Delete
  5. I'm gonna need to check out Good Place, a lot of people compare it to Parks and Rec and that's an amazing praise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never watched Parks & Rec, but The Good Place was created by Mike Schur, who also created P&R, and it's HILARIOUS and the plot is GENIUS.

      Delete