Anyway, it's an interesting list, made more interesting when you look at the individual lists and notice that everyone was only allowed to choose 10 films. 10? Really? That's IT? Which of course begs such questions as, "People really think Movie X is one of the 10 BEST films SINCE 2000?!?"
But of course, these things always even out in the end, and the Top Ten at any rate is pretty unimpeachable (actually, I would only question one), even though you may quibble with the order. And in case you haven't heard, that order is:
1. Mulholland Drive (Lynch, 2001)
2. In The Mood for Love (Wong, 2000)
3. There Will Be Blood (Anderson, 2007)
4. Spirited Away (Hayao, 2001)
5. Boyhood (Linklater, 2014)
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Gondry, 2004)
7. The Tree of Life (Malick, 2011)
8. Yi Yi (Yang, 2000)
9. A Separation (Farhadi, 2011)
10. No Country for Old Men (Coens, 2007)
And of course, I looked at that list, said "Well, there's that. Everything seems to be in order here," and moved on with my day.
Except people wouldn't shut up about it, and I found myself in the position of feeling the need to come up with my own "corrective" Top Ten of the 00s just because everyone else was (jeez, peer pressure is really something, isn't it?). The shocking thing was, it came out rather easily. Almost too easily, actually. So I figured, why not post it on the blog and elaborate a bit? So strap yourselves in, folks! Here are my...
1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2. In the Mood for Love
3. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
5. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
6. Moulin Rouge!
7. Before Sunset
9. Pan's Labyrinth
10. Toy Story 3
The first nine came really easily, and only in the tenth spot did I start to second-guess myself. But the next ten came just as easily:
11. A Separation
12. Beasts of the Southern Wild
17. The Royal Tenenbaums
19. Under the Skin
20. The Tree of Life