In an incredibly sweet gesture, the lovely Sati over at the awe-inspiring Cinematic Corner nominated me for the Sunshine Blogger Award. I am humbled and honored, and sorry that it has taken me so long to accept this award. But accept it I do, so here's what I have to do:
As given, every award has a set of tiny rules for accepting it, here are the ones for Sunshine:
1. Post the award on your blog
2. Thank the person who nominated you
3. Answer the 11 questions they set you
4. Pick another 11 bloggers (and let them know they are nominated!)
5. Set them 11 questions
Herewith, Sati's questions and my answers.
1. Who would play you in a movie based on your life?
Well, whoever it is would have to be able to tap dance, so.... Chris Evans? Sure, he's WAY better looking than me, but I have NO PROBLEM with that.
2. What is your favorite movie ending of all time?
Oh God. This is impossible. What to choose? "Well, nobody's perfect"? "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"? "So long, partner"? Honestly, though? I kinda think I'd have to go with Summertime, which I wrote about here. It's just so fucking beautiful. (NOTE: I reserve the right to change this tomorrow. And the day after that. And the day after that. And....)
3. Who is your favorite cinematic Batman?
I have no opinion. I firmly believe we have gotten the exact right Batman for the times in which each movie was made. If you're forcing me to choose, then I'm going to have to go with the first one I saw, Val Kilmer (who I think is quite underrated as Batman).
4. What is the funniest movie you've ever seen?
When I saw Armando Ianucci's In The Loop in the theater, the people sitting in front of me actually got up and moved in the first five minutes because I was laughing so loud, so I'm guessing that's probably the one.
5. Your sexiest movie character ever choice?
This is going to sound so wrong, and it may just be the actor, but Christian Bale's Patrick Bateman in American Psycho has always made me feel all the tingles. Until he tries to feed that cat to the ATM, anyway...
6. What do you like most about our movie blogosphere?
Everyone is so lovely and vocal and willing to have conversations instead of bickering back and forth like trolls.
7. What is your favorite movie blog?
It is now and forever will be The Film Experience. Nathaniel runs an incredible site and is also just the nicest person ever, and the rest of the team there are all great people and writers, too (full disclosure: I also contribute there on occasion, but only because I love reading it so much and Nathaniel indulges me every once in a while).
8. Will Sati survive Blade Runner 2?
GURL. I am RIGHT THERE WITH YOU.
9. What is your most anticipated movie at the moment?
So, we were asked about this for a Film Experience Team List recently, and while it was specific to Fall festival debuts, my answer wouldn't change when the pool is expanded: La La Land. Damien Chazelle directing an original musical starring the Hepburn and Tracy of the modern age, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling? I was in the tank for this from the moment it was announced, but then we got that teaser. And that OTHER teaser. And the reviews out of its premiere. And I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT UNTIL DECEMBER.
10. What is the most underseen movie you love?
Andrzej Zulawski's L'important c'est d'aimer (That Most Important Thing: Love). Absolutely astonishing film featuring Romy Schneider in one of the all-time great feats of actressing. The opening scene alone is just stunning, and grabbed me instantly. The film never let me go.
11.What movie character do you identify with?
OOF, this is a tough one. Honestly? A lot of times, it's Ben Braddock in The Graduate (the first half of it, anyway) - just feeling a little bit adrift in life not knowing what to do with myself. But most of the time, it's good ol' Bilbo Baggins, caught between the pull of the sweet safety of home/family and the burning desire for adventure. With the love of food staying constant.
My nominations for the Sunshine Blogger Award!
Actually, pretty much everyone I would nominate has already been nominated (and most have accepted), so that makes this kinda hard. BUT, there is one person who always brings the sunshine when he posts who as far as I can tell has NOT been nominated for this award, so PLEASE JOIN ME in bestowing this honor on Drew (or Fisti, whichever your prefer) over at A Fistful of Films. We all love you, Drew, and while we all know "real life" has to come first, that doesn't stop us from missing you and your posts something awful. Thanks for the light you have always brought to this little corner of the blogosphere. I don't think there's anyone more deserving.
You questions, should you choose to accept them (and anyone else please feel free to answer in the comments, too!), are....
1. What always cheers you up when you're feeling down?
2. When you go to the movies, do you get something from the concession stand? If so, what?
3. Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu Plus?
4. Who is your favorite actress who never won an Oscar?
5. Which performance of theirs is your favorite?
6. What is the first movie that made you love movies?
7. Where is your favorite place you have ever traveled?
8. Who is your favorite Muppet?
9. Jeopardy! or Wheel of Fortune?
10. How should we all feel about the upcoming remake of The Magnificent Seven? Because I am REALLY unsure.
11. What was the last movie you saw more than once in theaters, and why?