Thursday, March 30, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks - TV EDITION: Period Drama

Written as part of the weekly blogathon hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. We're on every week - join us by picking three movies that fit the week's theme and writing a bit about them!

Wow, the month of March went by FAST, huh? We're already at the next TV Edition of Thursday Movie Picks, which means it's the last Thursday of the month! I can't believe it. Time is going by so fast, and this week we are looking at shows that take place in the past. I can't think of too many of those that I've watched, actually, so there's not so much a larger point I have to make here, other than "these are some period dramas I have watched, and probably enjoyed."

Downton Abbey (2010-2015) I mean... where did Downton even come from? It really seemed like, all of a sudden, millions and millions of people were watching PBS on Sundays and EVERYONE was talking about the new Upstairs, Downstairs. It was very strange. But anyway, how could you not fall in love with this show's first season, which took things as seemingly boring as inheriting titles and lines of succession and property ownership and made them sublimely entertaining? A brilliant cast leads us through the early 1900s in the life of a British manor house after the male heir dies on the Titanic and the next closest relative is a middle class (as in, "Oh, how VERY middle class...") lawyer who must be taught the ways of the British upper class. I know I just said the cast is great, and they ARE, every last one of them, but there's really no question who the star of the show is: Dame Maggie Smith, in what is hopefully not her last great role as Dowager Countess Violet Crawley. Not only does writer Julian Fellowes give her ALL the best lines, but she delivers like you would not believe. There are a million tribute videos to her on YouTube, and every single one of them is just absolutely delightful.

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (2013-2015) Miss Phryne Fisher is the most fabulous detective you will ever meet. And this Australian period mystery series is maybe the most fun you will ever have solving murders! Essie Davis swans about in the most insane 1920s clothing you have ever seen while solving murder after murder in the most stylish way imaginable. With her trusty maid, Dot, butler Mr. Butler, and drivers Bert and Cec, Miss Fisher constantly runs circles around local Detective Inspector Jack Robinson's official investigations, using a combination of women's intuition, keen eye for detail, and wickedly sharp wit. The whole thing may feel like just a lot of frothy fun, but there's a deeper level of feminism running through it all that adds quite a lot. Well worth seeking out!

Spartacus (2010-2013) You know how people say about TV shows all the time "you have to give it a few episodes, but trust me, it gets SO GOOD"? Well... you have to give it a few episodes, but TRUST ME. Spartacus gets SO. GOOD. You already know the story of the slave-turned-gladiator-turned-rebellion leader, so come for the male nudity and stay for the storytelling and surprisingly well-drawn characters. It's certainly not a show for the squeamish (although the blood in the earliest episodes really does look badly fake), but if you can stomach it, Spartacus is one of the most rewarding shows in recent years. In fact, it's incredibly easy to pinpoint exactly where the show got good (episode 6 of the first season), AND exactly where it got GREAT (episode 9 of the first season). That it rarely took any downturn after that is what makes it essential. Yes, the way of speaking may seem ridiculous, and yes, it's incredibly bloody, but you've never seen ancient history like this - and by all accounts, it's pretty damn accurate to how the Romans actually lived. Plus: Lucy Lawless, better than she's ever been as the mistress of the house run by character extraordinaire John Hannah. The entire arc of the four season show is nearly flawlessly done, and the performances by everyone (including original Spartacus Andy Whitfield, who died of cancer after the first season and was replaced with the just as good Liam McIntyre) are strong. I really can't recommend this show enough, especially since it looked in the early going like it was going to be a bad 300 rip-off. Boy, did it ever transcend that!

19 comments:

  1. I hated Downton Abbey, I tried so hard to like it like everyone else did.

    Spartacus was pretty good, but I felt weird watching it after Whitfield died. That's my go to show to recommend when people bitch about nudity in Game of Thrones. Like, you think that's bad...watch Spartatus. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! What didn't you like about Downton?

      It did feel weird watching Spartacus after Whitfield died, for a few episodes. After I got used to McIntyre it was all good though. I totally lost it when the credits finished on the last episode, though.

      Delete
  2. YES! YES! AND YES!! Love all three of these!! I came to Downton in the second season but caught up quickly and then was on tenterhooks each week for a new episode. Dame Maggie is magnificent as you say and the show wouldn't be the same without her but I adored Penelope Wilton's Isobel Crawley who could give Violet as good as she got. There was rarely a character I didn't like except for a few minor ones who passed through but my other favs were poor put upon Lady Edith and Allen Leech's Tom Branson.

    I'm a big Spartacus fan and again waited with bated breath for each new episode. While I enjoyed the entire series, thank goodness for Lawless and Hannah who worked so well together and keep their characters involving despite the fact they were monsters, but it was never quite the same after the loss of Andy Whitfield though McIntyre was good. It also provided a good showcase for Jai Courtney who's never manage to be quite as compelling since.

    Finally Miss Fisher just rocks across the board!! The sly kittenishness, the adroit deductions, her frank unapologetic sexuality, Miriam Margolyes Aunt Prudence, the tremendous period detail, the clothes!! and most of all Essie Davis who could not possibly be better. I came to it after it ended and watched every episode within two days (I was sick and it certainly made those two days brighter!) I watched one episode with my niece and the next time I spoke to her she told me she's finished the whole series in a week!

    I went the English/BBC route with mine since that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think period drama.

    Poldark (2015-present)-In the 1780’s Ross Poldark returns to his ancestral home on the Cornish Coast of England after fighting in the American Revolutionary War to discover in his absence the advent of several distressing facts. His father has died leaving their lands in disarray, he himself had been presumed dead and Elizabeth, the woman he loved in despair has married his cousin. Times are hard and Ross has to find a way to rise out of penury, resolve his feelings between the now out of reach Elizabeth and Demelza the woman he has turned to while dealing with a despicable and shameless foe. Brooding and frustrating at times but consistently interesting.

    Call the Midwife (2012-present)-Wanting to help others young, well to do Jenny Lee becomes a midwife in London’s East End during the late 50’s and early 60’s. To do so she must live in a convent among sisters trained in midwifery as well and slowly loses her naiveté about the way the world really works. Terrific mix of pathos, joy, triumphs and sorrows played by a cast of great British actresses with nice period detail. Based on Jennifer Worth’s memoirs and narrated by Vanessa Redgrave.

    The Grand (1997-1998)-As WWI comes to a close the Bannerman’s reopen the family’s hotel The Grand in London after a refurbishing done in hopes of revitalizing business in the postwar boom. They are also hoping to provide a comfortable return for their soldier son who has come back from war with what was then termed battle fatigue. However problems quickly arise forcing the inclusion of an unwanted partner. From here the series deals with the conflicts that arise within the family and the guests, some of whom are there for a day and others long term. The excellent ensemble includes the great Susan Hampshire and as the shell shocked son Stephen Moyer who is better known as Bill Compton from his years on True Blood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I LOVE Penelope Wilton, especially as Cousin Isobel. Whenever she and Dame Maggie shared a scene I could barely contain myself. Poor Edith, though. They really put the middle child through a LOT.

      I have to admit, I'm kinda shocked you are such a big Spartacus fan! I would have thought the blood and guts would have been a turn off, but I'm SO GLAD you loved the show! Whenever I see Jai Courtney in yet another flop movie, I keep saying, "...but he was SO GOOD on Spartacus!" His big moment at the end of the first season was really what shot the show into All-Time Great status for me. Didn't see it coming and what a punch in the gut!

      I ADORE Miriam Margolyes in general, but whenever she shows up as Aunt Prudence I giggle and grin like a schoolgirl. So much fun, and good lord but Essie Davis is just beyond fabulous. I wish she would really "break through" as a star, because she's really GOT IT. I started watching the show with my ex over a snowed-in weekend and it really is perfect for that kind of thing.

      Shockingly, I have not seen any of your picks although I've heard of all of them. The one I've been most tempted to try is Call the Midwife; Poldark looks good too, but I don't know if I have the patience to deal with the dark brooding week after week.

      Delete
    2. While it's true I could have done without the blood and guts in Spartacus I knew that such were the times the story was set in and I entered prepared. If that had been all there was to the series though I would have been out of it like a shot, but the surrounding story and the acting were so good it kept me interested throughout.

      Totally agree about Miriam Margolyes, LOVE when she shows up on Graham Norton's show-she just doesn't give a damn what she says which is another thing that makes her playing of the puritanical Aunt Prudence so fun.

      Poldark can be heavy going. I'm committed now but some episodes can be a bad news buffet.

      I strongly encourage giving Call the Midwife a try, it's marvelous. Jessica Raine is terrific as the main character Jenny Lee but what pulled me in initially was that Jenny Agutter and Judy Parfitt play two of the nuns and the fab Miranda Hart plays the most endearing character named Chummy.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Downton. I think I rewatched it twice. Such a beautiful and incredibly well acted series and Dowager Countess is my role model :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series really fell off for me after Dan Stevens left (and even slightly before that, frankly), but I always enjoyed watching it despite the sometimes frustrating storytelling choices (just let Edith and Anna/Bates be HAPPY, GODDAMMIT!). The acting was just so good. The Dowager Countess should be everyone's role model!

      Delete
    2. Jesus Anna/Bates really had such a miserable storyline...that rape storyline was just the worst but at least it gave Foggart more to do and she won awards

      Delete
  4. Sparatcus.... OH!!!!!! Now that was a fucking good show. I really felt it finally found its groove in the episode in which Spartacus and his rebels destroyed that stadium. It was a really good show early on but that episode made it into a great show that I had to watch. Fuck yeah!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. SO glad to see love for Spartacus! For me the one that turned it into appointment TV was when they found his wife. Devastating in the best possible way.

      Delete
  5. We match with Downton which is just excellent in all areas. Love Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton together. Have you ever seen the Christmas parodies starring many of the cast members? It's really funny. I have been meaning to watch the other 2 and need to get on it. Miss Fisher is a beautiful young Miss Marple in some ways. I thought I saw Jon Hannah in this and I like him so much. Xenia should be used to all the blood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, I love the Christmas parodies, especially the one with Joanna Lumley from Ab Fab! Oh so very funny. Yes, Miss Fisher is like a young Miss Marple, although much more out there sexually, which is fun! OMG Lucy Lawless and John Hannah are SO GOOD on Spartacus. Light years beyond Xena.

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen any of these but I want to start Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so enjoyable, and moves by surprisingly fast. I watched nearly the whole first season in, like, one day.

      Delete
  7. Downton Abbey was fantastic! Miss Fisher's Murder Mystery sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is a LOT of fun. Watch it!

      Delete
  8. Nope, haven't seen any of these at all. That's why I had to sit this one out. Just don't watch much TV, and certainly no period dramas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pleased you picked Miss Fisher too!! I love this show so much I watched it back to back when it first appeared on Netflix. The costumes, crimes and the chemistry are all so amazing! But where the hell is season 4??

    I loved series 1 of Downtone and 2 but after that it lacked...it lacked everything. It became a soap.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love Downton first season. I think it went downhill after Dan Stevens left but it had nothing to do with Stevens...it was the writing that got worse and worse.

    Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - I was so ready to love this after all the recommendations, but nope. I think it is just too quaint for me.

    ReplyDelete