Thursday, October 4, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks - Home Invasion

Written as part of the weekly blogathon series hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. Come join us by picking three movies that fit the week's theme and writing a bit about them!

Thankfully, I have never had my home broken in to. Knock on wood, of course, as I don't want to ever have such a thing happen. It's a truly terrible thing to have happen, a deep, personal invasion that can leave lasting effects. Thankfully, we have movies that allow us to get catharsis in watching others go through this horror, and also perhaps give us some lessons on what to do - or, more likely, what NOT to do - should we ever find ourselves in this trying situation.

The Strangers (Bryan Bertino, 2008) From the simplest of set-ups (a couple in crisis, a house in a remote location, three masked assailants), Bertino creates a masterpiece of creeping dread and steadily-mounting terror. There are jump scares in The Strangers, but the things that stay with you aren't the things that make you scream. Instead, it's the moments of quiet, where a masked figure appears deep in the background, or other moments where the tension is so thick that you just want to yell at the characters to TURN AROUND or move to the left instead of the right... so many moments where safety is just inches, seconds away, but there's nothing to be done. Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman, as the couple whose home gets invaded, are so believable as a couple on the verge of breaking up that you're even more invested in them as people when things start to go south and they come closer together. Which makes the whole thing even sadder in the end.

Panic Room (David Fincher, 2002) Sure, some of the visual effects haven't exactly aged well, but everything else about Fincher's crackerjack thriller works like gangbusters. When Mom Jodie Foster and diabetic Daughter Kristen Stewart move into a Manhattan brownstone, they don't even get one night's rest before they find themselves trapped in the house's panic room, a steel-and-concrete-reinforced room that should protect them in the event of a home invasion... but the three thieves who show up include an employee of the security company that built and installed the panic room... and the separate phone line in the room hasn't been activated yet. Originally slated to star Nicole Kidman, who aggravated an injury from Moulin Rouge! and had to drop out, causing Foster to step in. Naturally, with Foster involved, her part was rewritten to emphasize the character's strength and similarities to her daughter. I can't help but think that this was all for the best, despite wanting very much to see what the Kidman version would have looked like.

When a Stranger Calls (Fred Walton, 1979) By far one of the best (and scariest) opening sequences in all cinema, Carol Kane's babysitter finds herself terrorized by increasingly threatening phone calls asking if she has "checked the children". That's it, but this scene is brutally terrifying in the best way, a brilliant combination of lighting, editing, sound, and score. To say nothing of Kane's performance, brilliantly showing a smart, resourceful woman slowly fraying at the seams. The rest of the film is a bit dull, as it turns into a police procedural... until the terrifying conclusion!

15 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the first but the other two are fine picks.

    Actually I just saw Panic Room for the first time about two months ago, home invasion films generally aren't my thing, and while I didn't love it parts were quite suspenseful.

    I saw When a Stranger Calls in the theatre upon its initial release totally unprepared for that opening. I went with my pregnant cousin and her husband who both knew as little about it as I and at the crescendo of the opening sequence we all nearly jumped out of our seats....and she said the baby did too! Agreed the middle sags despite the presence of Colleen Dewhurst and Charles Durning but the ending ratchets up the tension almost to that beginning level.

    This is a type if film I usually seek out but with a bit of poking around I found some that worked.

    He Ran All the Way (1951)-After a failed stickup during which he kills a cop Nick Robey (John Garfield) ducks into a local public pool house where he strikes up an acquaintance with Peg Dobbs (Shelley Winters). Upon leaving he offers her a cab ride to her home and she invites him in. Discovering he’s pursued he takes Peg and her family hostage leading to a tense standoff holding the police at bay while terrorizing the family. This was the great Garfield’s final film before the stress of being blacklisted lead to his fatal heart attack at only 39.

    The Desperate Hours (1955)-On the run after a prison break Glenn Griffin (Humphrey Bogart), his brother Hal (Dewey Martin) and Sam Kobish (Robert Middleton) break into the suburban Indianapolis home of businessman Dan Hilliard (Fredric March) and his family and take them hostage while they wait for Griffin’s moll to show up with loot for a getaway. What is supposed to be only a few hours stretches into nerve jangling days as the woman doesn’t show. William Wyler directed thriller is a tense suspenser. Badly remade in the 80’s.

    Cul-de-sac (1966)-George (Donald Pleasance) and his much younger French wife Teresa (Françoise Dorléac) live in an isolated castle on a remote tidal island. American gangster Dickey (Lionel Stander) fleeing a botched robbery with his wounded sidekick Albie (Jack MacGowran) cross the causeway at low tide and take over the castle but then the tables turn. Roman Polanski directed this strange thriller with both dramatic and comic overtones. Leading lady Dorléac was Catherine Deneuve’s sister and a rising international star before she was killed in a car crash the year after this was made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only one of your picks I've heard of is Cul-de-sac, and that's because of Francoise Dorléac. Yet another tragic car crash that claimed a young star's life. The other two do sound good, though.

      Delete
  2. I almost chose Panic Room! I found it an excellent film and she is one strong woman. I didn't know Nicole Kidman was supposed to be in this but I am glad it went to Jodie Foster. I have not seen the other 2 but they look scary to me. I am tempted to watch these 2....not sure I will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think the change from Kidman to Foster was definitely to Panic Room's benefit, although I would be interested to see what the Kidman version would have been like!

      When a Stranger Calls is one hell of a suspense ride for the beginning and the end. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it (just avoid the remake). The Strangers is more in the horror genre.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen the original When A Stranger Calls, but I did watch the remake...that was pretty uneventful. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interestingly Kidman provided the voice for Foster's character's husband's girlfriend on the phone :D Leto's performance in that film is hysterical

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yeah, Leto was always weird casting in that part.

      Delete
  5. I almost when with Panic Room but then I picked mother! instead. Haven't seen the other two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG mother! is a GREAT pick for this, can't believe I didn't think of it! Talk about a TERRIFYING home invasion!

      Delete
  6. Daniel,

    I just added "The Strangers" on my AmazonPrime watch list. Maybe, we can watch it the weekend prior to Halloween. The other two films we saw a few years ago. These aren't my favorite films but they were fun to watch. Thanks sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOOOH The Strangers is GREAT for pre-Halloween viewing! Enjoy!

      Delete
  7. The Strangers is a movie that's grown on me over the years, even though I've only seen it once. After that first viewing, I thought it was fine, but nothing special. The more I reflected on it, the better I seem to like it. I'm going to rewatch it whenever I get around to seeing the sequel to see if I'm just remembering it through rose tinted lenses or not. Good pick on Panic Room. Somehow, I haven't seen When a Stranger Calls. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you haven't seen When a Stranger Calls, Dell!! It seems like something you would have been all over back in the day!

      Delete
  8. I've only seen the remake of When a Stranger Calls and that one wasn't really that good.

    ReplyDelete